UEP Control Room Operations
This project will develop four new Units of Competency and three Skill Sets to address skills requirements for control room operations relating to power generation in both fossil fuels and renewable energies, encompassing automated control systems.
The transition to renewable energy has led to changes in the skills requirements of workers and a growing need for workforce mobility across the generation industry. The workforce needs to be upskilled and retrained in the operation and maintenance of existing and emerging renewable technologies and be able to adapt to new systems and processes.
There is an opportunity for some sectors to transition workers from fossil fuels to renewables. The predicted closures of coal fired plants nationally will present challenges in addressing skills gaps and reskilling individuals.
A new generation of energy operators working with new energy generation approaches will require a range of new skills that vary depending on the method of generation.
The ESI Generation IRC will have oversight of this project, which will be facilitated by Australian Industry Standards (AIS) in consultation with industry stakeholders. A Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) will be formed to provide subject matter expertise for the development of Training Package materials.
If you have any questions about this project, or are a subject matter expert and would like to be considered for the TAC for this project, please contact the Industry Skills Manager.
The Case for Endorsement and draft materials are due to be submitted by 30 July 2022.
The following products will be submitted to the AISC for consideration no later than 30 July 2022:
- 1 existing Qualification
- 4 new Units of Competency
- 3 new Skill Sets
- Case for Endorsement
- Updated Companion Volume Implementation Guide
19 OCTOBER 2021
The UEP Industry Reference Committee has established a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) for this project.
Comprising five subject matter experts from Industry, RTOs and the regulator, the TAC has been tasked with:
- Providing specialist industry subject-matter knowledge regarding Control Room Operations for the development of new Units of Competency and Skill Sets
- Validating the technical content of the Training Package products
- Identifying relevant qualitative and quantitative data sources to inform the development of draft materials
- Reviewing feedback from stakeholders through public consultations
- Assisting in identifying and engaging broader industry networks to participate in consultation and/or validation activities during the duration of the project
- Offering advice and guidance to assist in informing the direction of the project throughout its duration
- Making recommendations on the developed Training Package materials to the relevant IRC, which has the final decision-making authority.
The first meeting of the TAC is scheduled for 19 Oct 2021.
Technical advisory committee
26 AUGUST 2021
SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS NEEDED
Work on this project has commenced and the ESI Generation IRC is forming a TAC.
Your industry expertise and insight is welcome to help review and develop Training Package materials to address skills requirements for control room operations relating to power generation in both fossil fuels and renewable energies. This includes the development of four new Units of Competency and three new Skill Sets.
To register your interest in becoming a TAC member, please provide your details via the form below, by close of business Friday, 10 September 2021.
Industry Skills Manager - ESI Generation, Gas Supply