7 February 2020
The AISC has approved the Case for Endorsement for Training Package implementation.Case for Endorsement
The approved NWP National Water Training Package Release 3.0 is now available on training.gov.au
The following materials were approved:
NWP20119 Certificate II in Water Industry Operations
NWP30219 Certificate III in Water Industry Operations
IRC Minor Changes
NWP40515 Certificate IV in Water Industry Operations (minor release)
NWP40615 Certificate IV in Water Industry Treatment (minor release)
NWP50118 Diploma of Water Industry Operations (minor release)
Skill Sets having a text update only
- NWPSS00001 Advanced certification bridging
- NWPSS00002 Catchment operations
- NWPSS00003 Certification bridging
- NWPSS00004 Dam operations
- NWPSS00006 Infrastructure operations and maintenance
- NWPSS00007 Regional treatment operations
- NWPSS00008 Water quality monitoring
- NWPSS00010 Water sampling
- NWPTRT048 Monitor and operate reclaimed water irrigation
- NWPCAD001 Respond to blue-green algae outbreaks
- NWPCAD002 Control vegetation on a site
- NWPCAD003 Identify and confirm blue-green algae outbreaks
- NWPCAD004 Maintain catchment and surrounding areas
- NWPCAD005 Monitor, inspect and report catchment areas
- NWPCAD006 Monitor and coordinate catchment operations
- NWPCAD007 Inspect, operate and maintain low consequence dams
- NWPCAD008 Monitor and control dam operations
- NWPCAD009 Monitor and implement dam maintenance
- NWPCAD010 Inspect and report on concrete dam safety
- NWPCAD011 Inspect and report on embankment dam safety
- NWPCAD012 Route floods through storages
- NWPCAD013 Conduct and report dam safety instrumentation monitoring
- NWPCAD014 Inspect and report river performance
- NWPCAD015 Operate and maintain locks and weirs
- NWPCAD016 Operate and maintain fishways
- NWPCAD017 Operate and maintain salt interception works
- NWPCAD018 Monitor and operate bulkwater transfer systems
- NWPCAD019 Monitor and operate groundwater extraction
- NWPCAD020 Inspect and operate groundwater regulation
- NWPGEN017 Apply the risk management principles of the water industry standards, guidelines and legislation
- NWPGEN018 Follow environmental and licensing procedures
- NWPGEN019 Assess, implement and report environmental procedures
- NWPGEN020 Sample and test source or drinking water
- NWPGEN021 Sample and test wastewater
- NWPGEN022 Perform laboratory testing
- NWPGEN023 Use maps, plans, drawings and details
- NWPGEN024 Identify the role and functions of the water industry
- NWPGEN025 Apply principles of chemistry to water systems and processes
- NWPGEN026 Provide and promote customer service
- NWPGEN027 Monitor and operate pump stations
- NWPGEN028 Investigate and report on breaches of water industry legislation
- NWPIWS001 Monitor and operate rural irrigation and domestic delivery systems
- NWPIWS002 Operate regulating devices in rural irrigation systems
- NWPIWS003 Inspect and operate water diversion systems
- NWPIWS004 Install meters for rural water supplies
- NWPIWS005 Maintain and repair irrigation channels and drains
- NWPIWS006 Maintain meters for rural water supplies
- NWPIWS007 Detect and rectify faults with automated channel regulators
- NWPIWS008 Monitor and conduct maintenance on rural irrigation assets
- NWPIWS009 Monitor and control drainage operations
- NWPIWS010 Monitor and control rural water distribution operations
- NWPIWS011 Identify and apply water entitlements and delivery processes
- NWPIWS012 Monitor and schedule water deliveries
- NWPNET018 Disinfect network assets
- NWPNET019 Prepare and restore worksite
- NWPNET020 Control electrical risk on metallic pipes
- NWPNET028 Monitor and operate network systems
- NWPNET029 Locate, identify and protect utilities
- NWPNET030 Identify and respond to water quality problems
- NWPNET035 Perform odour and infiltration investigations
- NWPNET036 Perform leak detection
- NWPNET037 Inspect sewer or stormwater assets
- NWPNET038 Install metering equipment
- NWPNET039 Maintain and repair network assets for drinking water
- NWPNET040 Maintain and repair network assets for wastewater
- NWPNET046 Maintain and repair network assets for bulkwater
- NWPNET047 Install, maintain and repair hydrants
- NWPNET048 Monitor and control vacuum sewer systems
- NWPNET049 Construct and install water distribution assets
- NWPNET050 Construct and install wastewater collection assets
- NWPNET051 Monitor and operate water distribution systems
- NWPNET052 Monitor and operate wastewater collection and transfer systems
- NWPNET053 Test and commission water distribution systems
- NWPNET054 Test and commission wastewater collection systems
- NWPTRT005 Monitor and operate water treatment processes
- NWPTRT006 Monitor and operate fluoride addition processes
- NWPTRT007 Monitor and operate liquefied chlorine gas disinfection processes
- NWPTRT008 Operate and control iron and manganese removal processes
- NWPTRT009 Operate and control coagulation and flocculation processes
- NWPTRT010 Operate and control sedimentation and clarification processes
- NWPTRT016 Operate and control dissolved air flotation processes
- NWPTRT017 Operate and control activated carbon processes
- NWPTRT018 Operate and control ion exchange and softening processes
- NWPTRT019 Operate and control granular media filters
- NWPTRT020 Operate and control membrane filters
- NWPTRT021 Operate and control desalination processes
- NWPTRT022 Monitor and operate hypochlorite disinfection processes
- NWPTRT023 Monitor and operate ultraviolet processes
- NWPTRT024 Operate and control chloramination processes
- NWPTRT025 Monitor and operate chlorine dioxide processes
- NWPTRT026 Monitor and operate ozone processes
- NWPTRT027 Monitor and operate wastewater treatment processes
- NWPTRT028 Operate and control reclaimed water irrigation
- NWPTRT029 Monitor and operate pre-treatment processes
- NWPTRT030 Operate and control odour removal processes
- NWPTRT036 Operate and control activated sludge processes
- NWPTRT037 Operate and control nutrient removal processes
- NWPTRT038 Operate and control fixed film processes
- NWPTRT039 Operate and control solids handling processes
- NWPTRT040 Operate and control digestion processes
- NWPTRT046 Operate and control incineration processes
- NWPTRT047 Monitor, operate and control lagoon processes
Units having a text update only
- NWPGEN006 Implement and manage environmental management policies
- NWPHYD002 Apply principles of open channel hydraulics
- NWPHYD003 Develop and maintain ratings
- NWPHYD004 Plan water resource management
- NWPHYD005 Process and report hydrographic time series data
1 November 2019
Case for Endorsement submitted to AISC
The draft Training Package materials have been submitted to the AISC.
Thank you to all stakeholders who provided valuable feedback and contributed to this project.
30 September 2019
Final Draft Case for Endorsement
The draft Training Package materials have undergone independent edit and quality assurance.
To view the final draft Training Package materials, please click below.
The Case for Endorsement is scheduled to be submitted to the AISC in October 2019.
Thank you to all stakeholders who provided valuable feedback and contributed to this project.
10 July 2019
The TAC has finalised draft materials for this project and would like your feedback.
- The TAC has removed specialisations in the Certificate II in Water Industry Operations and reviewed all associated units of competency
- Several units have been retitled to more accurately represent the content of the units. The three existing Certificate III qualifications have been merged into one qualification with specialist groupings
- One new unit has been developed
- Competency fields for several specialisations have been changed to better reflect the content of the subject matter. For example, Irrigation has been changed to Irrigation Water Supply with the coding for the group changing from IRR to IWS
A draft document is included with the downloadable draft Units of Competency that contains a list of changes from the unit currently on training.gov.au and the new draft version. These changes will be finalised after public consultation and the TAC have signed off on the project.
Feedback on draft materials closed on Thursday, 25 July 2019.
16 April 2019
The TAC are pleased to provide draft qualifications and associated Units of Competency for review.
The draft products provide the skills and flexibility to meet current Water Industry occupational requirements and the future needs of the industry.
The following revisions have been made:
- Certificate II in Water Industry Operations has been tailored to facilitate various water sector skills for entry level workers to meet the needs of industry and commence a pathway to higher level qualifications.
- Certificate III in Water Industry Operations, Certificate III in Water Industry Treatment, and Certificate III in Water Industry Irrigation, have been merged into one qualification – the Certificate III in Water Industry Operations.
Feedback on draft materials closed on Monday, 6 May 2019.
7 March 2019
The Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) for this project have met on multiple occasions since October 2018.
Draft qualifications and Units of Competency are well advanced and are anticipated to be available for stakeholder consultation by the end of April, 2019.
21 August 2018
INDUSTRY SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS NEEDED
The Water IRC is now forming a TAC for this project. Your industry expertise and insight is welcome to help review and develop qualifications and associated materials.
TAC nominations closed on Friday, 7 September 2018.
For more information about this project please contact the Industry Manager.
12 JANUARY 2018
CASE FOR CHANGE CONSULTATION
A Case for Change is being developed by the Water Industry Reference Committee (IRC) to address the introduction of new technologies and the impact on existing job roles.
Due to the significant changes in technology within the Water industry, the IRC has recommended the review of three qualifications and 95 existing Units of Competency, and the development of 4-6 new Units of Competency.
The Water IRC is seeking public feedback on this proposed Training Package work.
Feedback on the Case for Change closed on Tuesday, 30 January 2018.
If you have any questions about this project, please contact the Industry Manager.