DEF Sensor Operations
Review and development of Defence Training Package components relating to Sensor Operations will be undertaken as part of ongoing capability reviews across the Australian Defence Force. Wider industry practices and Defence legislative requirements will also be addressed during this process. Where imported elective Units of Competency are identified as either deleted or superseded, the IRC may also elect to update the affected Defence qualification(s) through this review.
The Public Safety IRC will have oversight of this project, which will be facilitated by Australian Industry Standards (AIS) in consultation with industry stakeholders. A Defence focus group will be formed to provide the subject matter expertise for this project.
One qualification to be reviewed:
- DEF33115 Certificate III in Sensor Operations
12 existing Units of Competency to be reviewed:
- DEFCMM004 Conduct operator level maintenance in a Defence environment
- DEFCMM005 Transmit and receive messages via voice systems
- DEFGEN001 Work in a team
- DEFGEN002 Work independently
- DEFSEN001 Operate a radar system
- DEFSEN002 Operate a sonar system
- DEFSEN003 Operate a torpedo fire control system
- DEFSEN004 Operate an electronic support suite
- DEFSEN005 Operate decoy systems
- DEFSEN006 Optimise and monitor sensor display
- DEFSEN007 Provide general support to combat systems operations
- DEFSEN008 Support the compilation of the tactical picture
The Case for Endorsement is expected to be submitted to the Australian Industry and Skills Committee by 30 October 2020
How to get involved
A Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) will be formed to provide expertise for this work. If you are a subject matter expert and would like to be considered for the TAC please contact the Industry Manager
Stakeholder feedback on draft training materials will be sought as part of the development phase of work.
Technical advisory committee
25 JULY 2019
DEFENCE PROJECT COMMENCEMENT
Work on the Defence Sensor Operations project has commenced.
The Public Safety IRC is currently working with Defence to revise existing qualifications in the DEF Defence Training Package.
For more information about this project please contact the Industry Manager.
Summary of development
Draft units, skill sets and/or qualifications are developed in consultation with Subject Matter Experts and industry stakeholders.
Initial drafting of Training Package material (Units of Competency, Skill Sets and/or qualifications) is being undertaken Defence, to ensured that the draft Units are informed by the needs of industry.
31 JANUARY 2020
A focus group comprised of Defence personnel and industry experts is continuing review and development work for this project.
3 MARCH 2020
Defence has finalised a review of draft Training Package materials for this project and would like your feedback on the following Units of Competency:
- DEFCMM001Y Maintain security in a Defence communications and information systems environment
- DEFCMM004Y Conduct operator level maintenance in a Defence environment
- DEFCMM005Y Transmit and receive messages via voice systems
- DEFGEN001Y Work in a team
- DEFGEN002Y Work independently
- DEFSEN001Y Operate a radar system
The following qualification will be deleted:
- DEF33115Y Certificate III in Sensor Operations
The following Units of Competency will be deleted:
- DEFSEN002Y Operate a sonar system
- DEFSEN003Y Operate a torpedo fire control system
- DEFSEN004Y Operate an electronic support suite
- DEFSEN005Y Operate decoy systems
- DEFSEN006Y Optimise and monitor sensor display
- DEFSEN007Y Provide general support to combat systems operations
- DEFSEN008Y Support the compilation of the tactical picture
Feedback on draft materials closed on Tuesday, 31 March 2020 for consideration by the TAC.
Feedback will be collated and discussed at the next TAC meeting.
9 APRIL 2020
The Defence Skills project is continuing with the review and development of Training Package products that will support Defence capability building.
Review of the Release 3.0 materials were made available for stakeholder validation.
Feedback on draft materials closed on Monday, 27 April 2020 for consideration by Defence.
Feedback will be collated and discussed at the next meeting.
18 JUNE 2020
FINAL DRAFT CASE FOR ENDORSEMENT (RELEASE 3.0)
The draft Training Package materials for Release 3.0 have undergone independent edit and quality assurance.
20 JULY 2020
CASE FOR ENDORSEMENT SUBMITTED TO AISC
The draft Training Package (Release 3.0) materials have been submitted to the AISC.
Thank you to all stakeholders who provided valuable feedback and contributed to this project.
18 AUGUST 2020
At its meeting on the 12 August 2020 the AISC approved the Defence Training Package (Release 3.0) for referral to the Skills Ministers for endorsement.
Industry - Aviation and Defence