31 January 2020
A focus group comprised of Defence personnel and industry experts is continuing review and development work for this project.
25 July 2019
DEFENCE PROJECT COMMENCEMENT
Work on the Defence Simulator Maintenance project has commenced.
The Public Safety IRC is currently working with the Department of Defence to revise existing qualifications in the DEF Defence Training Package.
As this material is sensitive in nature, initial requests for access to draft DEF Defence Training Package products is by written application only via email to the Industry Manager.
For more information about this project please contact the Industry Manager.
This project will consider the current and future capability needs relating to Defence simulator maintenance, including the use of emerging technologies. The project addresses ongoing Defence capability reviews, wider industry practices, or Defence legislative requirements.
This project addresses the ongoing requirement to review and update DEF Defence Training Package materials previously endorsed in 2015 and ensuring that Defence’s current and future capability needs are met beyond 2019-20. The project will be undertaken as part of ongoing Defence capability reviews across the Australian Defence Force. Where imported elective Units of Competency are identified as either deleted or superseded, the IRC may also elect to revise the affected Defence qualification(s) through the IRC minor upgrade process.
The expected submission of the Case for Endorsement will be submitted to the Australian Industry and Skills Committee (AISC) by 30 October 2020.
View IRC Skills Forecast
The Public Safety IRC will have oversight of this project, which will be facilitated by Australian Industry Standards (AIS) in consultation with industry stakeholders. A Defence focus group will be formed to provide the subject matter expertise for this project.
Regular updates will be posted on this page throughout the life of the project.
If you have any questions about this project, or are a subject matter expert and would like to be considered for the TAC for this project, please contact the Industry Manager.
Two qualifications to be reviewed:
- DEF43215 Certificate IV in Simulator Maintenance
- DEF53215 Diploma of Simulator Maintenance
11 existing Units of Competency to be reviewed:
- DEFGEN005 Develop relationships with other organisations
- DEFGEN007 Conduct risk assessment in a Defence environment
- DEFSIM001 Fault find and repair simulator power distribution and control systems
- DEFSIM002 Fault find and repair simulator computer systems and peripheral hardware
- DEFSIM003 Fault find and repair simulator image generator and visual display systems
- DEFSIM004 Fault find and repair simulator motion and control loading systems
- DEFSIM005 Fault find and repair simulator sound systems
- DEFSIM006 Fault find and repair simulator weapons systems
- DEFSIM007 Conduct simulator performance evaluation
- DEFSIM008 Work effectively with simulator systems
- DEFSIM009 Operate the simulator for testing purposes