DEF Paralegal Services
The project involves the revision of the Certificate IV and Diploma in Defence Paralegal Services, including 13 Units of Competency in the Defence Training Package to enable Defence paralegal staff to meet the demands of current legal requirements and technological advancements.
Defence paralegals perform administrative legal tasks and communicate with clients to provide legal advice, under the supervision of fully qualified senior lawyers. Paralegals are often delegated tasks to assist with the progress of a legal matter such as analysing and summarising documents, filing at court, legal research and drafting correspondence.
With the ever-changing legal environment, the role of a paralegal is also constantly evolving. Moreover, Defence paralegal staff require the skills and knowledge to deal with the increased use of technology involving electronic documents and records management systems, cloud computing, online generation of legal documents, virtual courtrooms, and online dispute resolution.
The Public Safety Industry Reference Committee (IRC) will have oversight of this project, which will be facilitated by Australian Industry Standards (AIS) in consultation with industry stakeholders. A Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) will be formed to provide subject matter expertise for the development of Training Package materials.
If you have any questions about this project or are a subject matter expert and would like to be considered for the TAC for this project, please contact the Industry Skills Manager.
The Case for Endorsement and draft materials are due to be submitted by 30 June 2022.
The full list of products included in this project:
- DEF40717Y Certificate IV in Defence Paralegal Services
- DEF50417Y Diploma of Defence Paralegal Services
Units of Competency
- DEFDPL006Y Provide support in legal assistance matters
- DEFDPL012Y Work in a public service legal environment
- DEFDPL013Y Conduct legal research
- DEFDPL004Y Provide support in Defence administrative law matters
- DEFDPL008Y Obtain information from a client
- DEFDPL010Y Provide support in service discipline law matters
- DEFDPL011Y Provide support in criminal law matters
- DEFDPL014Y Address complex legal and ethical issues in a Defence environment
- DEFDPL001Y Provide high-level support on service discipline matters
- DEFDPL009Y Manage and analyse a legal file
- DEFDPL002Y Provide high-level support on criminal law matters
- DEFDPL003Y Provide high-level support on administrative law matters
- DEFDPL005Y Provide high-level support on operations law matters
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
A Technical Advisory Committee will be formed to provide expertise for this work. If you are a subject matter expert and would like to be considered for the TAC please contact the Industry Skills Manager.
Stakeholder feedback on draft training materials will be sought as part of the development phase of work.
Technical advisory committee
7 JULY 2021
SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS NEEDED
Work on this project has commenced and the Public Safety Industry Reference Committee (IRC) is forming a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC).
Your industry expertise and insight is welcome to help review and develop Training Package materials in the revision of Certificate IV and Diploma in Defence Paralegal Services including 13 Units of Competency in the Defence Training Package to ensure Defence paralegal staff can meet the updated demands of current legal requirements and technological advancements.
A background in the Defence force, legal practice or public administration would be advantageous.
Registrations closed Wednesday, 21 July 2021.
Industry Skills Manager - Aviation, Corrections, Defence and Public Safety